1.13.2006

How we got to here from there


This time last year, Jonathan and I left for a long weekend in Savannah. The picture on the left was taken that weekend. We had a great time looking at all the great, old buildings, visiting historical houses and walking….we did a lot of walking. We were deciding when to start what would be our last cycle of in vitro. We had tried several times before with no luck, and had taken some time off from the process. We found out at the beginning of March that we were not pregnant. By that point, I really didn’t expect good news; after all, we had tried and failed before. I just tried to not have ANY expectations. In truth, I was scared to think either way, for fear of jinxing the process….like it was ever in my control! We spent a pretty good sum of money trying to start a family through assisted reproductive means. It’s easy to say it was worth every penny when it works, but when it doesn’t, you start to wonder if you are doing the right thing. We had discussed adoption, but I guess we weren’t ready to change course, after all, we had been on the in vitro path for 2+ years.

When we took our annual anniversary trip to the beach in April, we started discussing it more seriously. I started doing research and talked to some others who had adopted, but we were still a little disillusioned and wanted to just think on things for a while. I sent away for an information packet from EAC and they called me several times over the next few months, but still, we weren’t ready. It was August when we finally sent our completed application to the agency. Once the decision was made, I felt so right about it. I know in my heart of hearts that God intended for us to adopt and has been with us every step of the way. Knowing that we will have our daughter (hopefully) by the end of the year is indescribable. It brings me unbelievable joy and peace to know that we will soon be parents. Several people have commented that it is a great thing we are doing, adopting a child, and what a lucky little girl she will be, but I tell them we are the lucky ones, for she will be a blessing to us and will add to our lives in limitless ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment