7.12.2006

The beginnings of the nursery!

Although Lily Kate’s room has not yet been started, I have been gathering things for several months. Last week, I finally bought the crib bedding – a big step! I have been eyeing it for months and after shopping around, knew I was not going to find anything I liked better. I was lucky enough to find it (brand new) on eBay and got it for a great price. The woman I bought it from has a terrific site (and shop) called Purple Daisy Kids . Check it out and buy something from her for your little one. She has some great vintage-style toys and adorable dress-up stuff. In fact, I just bought something for my niece for her birthday. Here is a picture of the bedding (it's by House, Inc. and it's called Stella Blue):

As you can see, I am going for a sort of old-fashioned, feminine, shabby chic look. I have been scouring some of my favorite stores (Marshalls, Target, etc.) as well as antique shops and eBay for accessories and furnishings, both new and old. I want something that she can grow into, even after the crib is gone. We have the crib selected, but no picture as yet. My sweet parents are getting it for us and I can’t wait to see the bedding with it – it’s a Jenny Lind style crib in the palest, prettiest blue.

The rest of the furniture will probably be white and I am thinking of using a dresser we already have and transforming it into a changing table/dresser. I will post pics before and after soon. I think with some white paint, new hardware and antiquing, it could work.

I want to put white wainscoting on the bottom half of the walls and paint the top using some sort of a faux technique - still working that out. Stay tuned for more updates to come!

6 comments:

  1. Love the bedding. We're working on our nursery now, too. But then, you may know that as my sisters are all heading up here tomorrow to help. I've postponed it for so long because of all the delays, but now that we're doing it, I can tell you it's a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan, We love the bedding and the theme of Lily Kate's nursery. We did something similar for Sophia's nursery. Target has great stuff for the "Shabby Chic" look. We can't wait to see the before and after pictures. Have a great time putting the nursery together.

    Love Susan and Riz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your website. Hope you dont mind me stopping by. We are just beginne the process of adopting from China

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the bedding!! Have fun decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your bedding! My BFF has House Inc bedding for her little girl that was born last December, and she absolutely loves it- very durable, holds up in the wash and doesn't fade.

    Thanks for the link to the site. I've been eyeing up that Bla Bla pink cat pillow myself...

    ReplyDelete
  6. All I can say is you have amazing taste. That room is going to be gorgeous. Also it will be a great way to keep you busy.

    ReplyDelete