10.17.2008

A little Q & A

My blogger friend, Wendy, over at Adoption and Fire, did a post last week asking anyone if they would like to be interviewed, and I thought it would be fun, so agreed to do it.  She posted the questions in her comments section and asked that we do a blog post with the answers, so here goes!

Q: Being referred twins came as a surprise, especially for those of us that follow your blog. What has been the biggest adjustment that you have had to make in your life in order to care for two little ones?

A: Our referral for twins was a
huge surprise, although we did request twins, if available, and our agency was pulling for us with the CCAA. Once we got over the shock that there were two babies, we had a lot to do to get ready. It wasn’t just about getting two of everything, but getting used to the whole idea of twins. We have had to make lots of adjustments going from two to four, but for me, the biggest has been that my time is no longer my own. I can’t just get up and go anymore at a moment’s notice.  Running a quick errand is no longer a simple exercise. I have to be organized and plan things out, and even then a tired or hungry baby can disrupt my plans. I waited a very long time to be a mom, but this is something I have had to learn as I go - to be flexible. Schedules are great and we definitely have one, but sometimes life gets in the way. You gotta go with the flow!

Q: What has been the most difficult and what has been the easiest?

The most difficult thing so far has been getting the girls to sleep through the night. It took a good three months of sticking to a plan and being patient, but they are pretty much there. We still have occasional wake-ups, but things are so much better. Being well rested makes a huge difference for all of us! The easiest, well that's easy to answer: falling in love with them. It happened instantaneously and just keeps growing by the second. They are such sweet, funny and affectionate girls – they are just good babies! They eat pretty much everything, play so well together, and just fit so well into our family and our life. We are totally and completely head-over-heels in love with them!

Q: How are they different and how are they similar?

A: They really have very different personalities. LilyKate is more independent and confident, and is much more outgoing and social in public. Eleanor is a little less independent and needs a bit more reassurance when we are around other people. She is a studier and thinker, whereas LilyKate is more of a doer. People ask us all the time how we can tell them apart, and although physically we look at them and can tell who is who, we also know them right away by their character traits.

We are pretty sure they are identical twins, although we haven’t had DNA testing done. As for other similarities, they are both very loving and affectionate, and give (and get) lots of hugs and kisses. They love music and will start shaking their heads and dancing when they hear something they like…it is too cute. They both smile and laugh easily, especially when their Daddy makes silly faces and sounds. They are the light of our lives.

Thanks Wendy for the great questions. I really enjoyed answering them and it took me some time to put my thoughts into words…my brain is a little mushy these days, so thanks for the exercise!

If anyone else has any questions, feel free to leave them in the comments and I'll answer them in a future post.

12 comments:

  1. WONDERFUL answers..
    The girls sound like they are truly AMAZING..
    And they are soooo ADORABLE...
    Have a Great Weekend.
    Hugs..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susanita...I love reading your blog...but - if possible, could you describe your day with them?
    What time they wake up, do you guys read them stories yet?, how do you manage on Sunday mornings..ie. going to church etc.?
    How do you find time for yourself?

    Psst. - it is still hard to find time to myself (hahaha!)

    love you guys!! You are all a wonderful family!!

    Lizeth

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan I know I already commented on this post but I had to come and say one more thing...

    TAG you areit go look at my blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan I know I already commented on this post but I had to come and say one more thing...

    TAG you areit go look at my blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't sleep tonight so I have been poping around looking at blogs and came back again... I love the new look it is great. I have been thinking of making a change too....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the new banner! Thanks for sharing your beautiful little girls with us! Every time I think about how long my wait is, I can come here & it brightens my day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a mommy of twins, too, I wanted to let you know that it's possible that your girls may well switch personalities just to keep you on your toes. Every time I think I've got my five year olds (adopted domestically at 9 weeks old) figured out they switch personalities! It's fun to watch and I know you're enjoying every minute of it.
    Tracy R

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tracy R:

    They are already doing this! We laugh cause we think we know who's who over the monitor by the sounds they are making (and we are wrong), or one girls acts one way and then switches it up to confuse us...LOL. I had a hard time with that question for that very reason.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. SUSAN!! I love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the new look!!!

    Thanks for playing along! I loved reading your answers and have learned a lot about your girls, which is always fun!

    ReplyDelete